Thursday, March 12, 2009

Technology Status

I came to a realization just the other night while watching a commercial that technology can be a social status of your life. It enlightened me on why I felt so compelled to upgrade my cell phone. The way I see it is this, if you have a NEED for a fancy phone, then your life must be pretty important. You can check your e-mail anywhere, means that you have people e-mailing you who actually NEED to get in touch with you, instead of a friendly letter, joke, or pictures of their kids, or worse shopping adds. If you need a GPS, then that means that you have somewhere important to find and go. The need for a camera is fun, and why have too many gadgets, so let's include your music here too. Internet access makes it easy to quickly update your status on FB, and you can post anywhere anytime, find information etc. You see, Mr. C. has a fun phone. It is VERY fun to play with his phone, I like it, kids like it, we are all happy. But Mr. C. has the NEED for a technology advanced phone (if you really want to know, he actually has two ~ an iphone and a blackberry!) One if for each of his jobs, and it is fine. Me on the other hand do not have a need. I do not NEED to get my e-mail which by the way is from stores or friends, at any time. I rarely travel without Mr. C. outside of our city where I don't know exactly where I am going therefore do not need GPS. I do not have FB or really any need for Internet at my fingers at any time. You see, even when at work, I always have my laptop so these things are available to me (even blogging!) My phone issues need to be this: I need to be content. I need a phone to call people on, to call the school should I be late, to chat with friends, and in case there is an accident. That is all. I would like a phone that is better at texting (Mrs. Dunbar laughed at me!) but that will just have to wait, for as far as I know there is no better option without an Internet price tag and contract. The bottom line is this: I need to be content and happy with what I have, that works correctly, and is paid for. My old phone is just fine, and do you know what it says about me? I don't have the stresses that some people do that come with the need for their phone. I can leave my phone in the car, house, or purse for days at a time, and usually I am okay. You can always reach me at home, where I normally am, or e-mail me, where I am on my computer, and as for pictures.....well, mine does take those, and I need to be grateful for that feature. Here is to contentment!

1 comment:

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Aww, girl. Why o why are we in this realistic-must-be-content stage? Probably because that's where God put us. I don't like it, but I accept it. I'd rather have my old phone and be able to pick Monkey up from school than have a new phone to text a nanny with.