Monday, March 30, 2009

Obedience Fulfilled

Last year, my friend talked me into running a 5K. Her convincing point was that we would be running along the beach - can it get better than that? Sure the race was in February, but we live in So Cal, how bad could the weather really get? Well, I trained since I wasn't a runner at the time. I was prepared, or so I thought. The day of the race, it was freezing cold, crazy winds, and POURING down rain, the beach was NOT beautiful, it was grey and the waves were angry. I ran, and I ran hard because I wanted the HELL to end. It was seriously something out of a comic or something, but there was a finish line and I crossed it. My clothes weighed 7 pounds heavier at the end of the race (just so you understand the elements).

As you know (or look in last weeks posts) that I have been dealing with obedience especially last week. Well, I crossed that finish line as well. I was telling Mr. C. that in looking back, what I came to realize was that God was preparing me. He was asking me to train, exercise my faith, and be prepared for the race ahead. But as I was nearing the finishing line, not happy about running in the rain and misery, God delivered me. It was just like Abraham and Isaac. Once, I think God realized that I was in it for the finish line, HE took it away. You see the situation He had put me in, didn't come through. Things changed ~whew. But what I realized was that my heart was right. I fought God and whined, but I was willing to do what He asked. Now my race might not be fully over, but I know that my faith improved this week and I grew. I grew in obedience, and although I didn't like the process (AT ALL), I feel good at the end of it. God gave me His warm arms around my heart, and a refreshing water bottle to refresh my spirit.

The beauty of running the race is that there are finish lines, dry clothes, water bottles, and small victories as we prepare for the next one. Here is to the next race God asks me to run......I better keep training!

2 comments:

Heidi Thompson said...

Way to go Mrs. C!

Cathy said...

Well stated. Love you word pictures.