Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Literature Snob

I have to confess that I have slowly become a literature snob. You see, I read what I like, and haven't really been open to "new" or the "craze" that might be going around. That is until this past month. I don 't know if you pay attention, but in my sidebar there is a section for what I am reading......the hope was to discuss this, and have some accountability of some sort. Well, my friend J was talking not long ago about the Twilight series. It got me thinking, and I quickly disregarded it. I mean, I am a chicken to start with! Vampires ~ hmmmm nope! But alas, I needed a small gift for my dad of all people and bought it for him for Christmas as a filler gift. Well, my Dad liked the first book so much, he went and bought the second book while snowed in on vacation. That got my interest up even more.......My Dad, Vampires......hmmmmm. So I broke down and started the book Twilight, not really knowing what to expect. What shocked me the most as I finished the first book yesterday was how much my own snobbery was going to let me miss out on something because of preconceived notions. I thought it was for a younger crowd (why I bought it for my dad still confuses me!). I thought it was a craze because the movie had come out not long ago (how good can a teeny - bopper movie be?). Again, it was about vampires and I am afraid of the bugga - bugga. But, my friend was right. I should have known because I respect her. It was a great story and yes, I have started the second one already. My point is this: don't let your snobbery rob you of new experiences! Now, will I rent the DVD when it comes out next month, I don't know, but I am up for it so that I won't be a snob ~ that and I will be prepared for the bugga-bugga. Maybe I will only watch it if Mr. C. will protect me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always known you to be a snob...wait no...that's me.

So glad I found you here.

I'm glad I can keep up with you throught the dadgum internet...we both live in Riverside FOR PETE's SAKE! What is our problem?!

luvs tess

Anna Cecilia said...

The series? Fantastic! I read all 4 books in 3 weeks! The movie? HORRIBLE! I can't believe I stayed up 2 hours after my bed time to watch that movie. Ughhh!

And totally, let's get together!

Anonymous said...

Mr. C protect you?! Edward protects us all :)