Thursday, March 26, 2009

Obedience Part 2

So what I have figured out is that in order to really live out my faith that I say I have I need to be obedient. That just put a blow to my ego and pride quite honestly. You see, I wanted to express my faith in God, but not really live out my faith in HIM. Not really want to see where I was being disobedient, or partially obedient but not willing to go all the way. Then Tuesday in BSF, we were reminded again by those good ole' Israelites that in order to grow in faith, we need to grow in obedience. I want to grow in faith. I want to grow in my walk, but there are times when I want to do things the easy way, the chicken way, or simply MY way. I remember all too well the summer that I grew 4 inches and my brother grew 7 inches. ONE SUMMER!! To say that we had growing pains is a bit of an understatement. It hurt to walk, move, be touched, or do anything but be in the water. Faithful growing seems to be much the same way, at times somewhat painful, but worth it in the end.

Then while watching the Dog Whisperer, I had this realization: Ceasar was saying that a good pack leader doesn't do things to make themselves happy, they do the things that need to be done for the good of the pack and make the pack happy and fulfilled. Words for training your dog ~ yes, words for living out the faith I claim ~ also yes. Being a good FOLLOWER isn't about what makes me happy, it is ALL about what makes my LEADER happy and being obedient to HIM. It is when we live out our faith, and exercise our faith that we grow in our faith and therefore, have a happy pack.

Another kicker, as I am helping Bubba with his homework? His memory verse is Hebrews 11:6, talking about what? You guessed it faith! Then his definition is Faith: believing God will always do what He says. Wisdom from the 8 year old's homework, but it also got me thinking. You see, God doing what He says is a double edged sword. What I want to glance over so many times as I am reading the Word is the consequences for NOT being obedient. Guess what, God is going to be faithful in fulfilling those too ~ ouch! Guess it was a good thing I was paying attention to the homework this week. It gave me a lesson too! Here is to growing.

1 comment:

Anna Cecilia said...

Great post Erin. Faith grows through obedience. I'm gonna take that little gem with me.