Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday's Treasure

If you look at my sidebar, there is the "What I'm reading". Currently you will see Exodus, and Leviticus. I know that these seem random and obscure, but be patient. You see, today's treasure is my enrollment in Bible Study Fellowship. My involvement in this organization started many years ago, with my dear friend Kathryn. She begged me to join, and I thought she was crazy. But alas, because I had grown out of ways to say no (before kids, obviously) I started. The first year was tough. The next year was better, by the third year, I at least could handle the challenge questions.

You see, the studies vary from year to year, this year is the life of Moses. It is harder than you think, and you grow in ways you don't expect. You don't simply get spoon fed the stories, you have to really look at, absorb, and study God's word. This year has been wonderful. I see God as the same God that He was back then. However, I am also saddened because I think we want to change God to fit OUR times and current circumstances. We want to change HIM, creator of the universe, to be accepting of the things we don't want to change in ourselves, our society, and our universe. That is the cool part of this weeks lesson, I relearned that God hasn't changed, nor is He going to. He is Holy, just, and faithful, just as He was back in the day of Moses. He set up rules, procedures, guidelines, and punishments for the Israelites to follow and comply with not for HIS controlling nature, but for their protection. The same applies to me. Some of the reasons for His patterns on things were simple: I'm God, I'm Holy, and basically I said so. Mom's have been stealing God's lines now for generations - go figure. Yet, just as we needed to obey when we were little and our Mom "Because I said so" we also need to be obedient to God, if we call Him our Heavenly Father because HE SAID SO.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did BSF for years and it is challenging and good and wonderful (because it's strictly God's Word). I agree about wanting to change God. God always gently reminds me He can't fit into my puny boxes though--and I'm so thankful He does!

April said...

Reading that makes me sad (well... happy for you, sad for me)-- I miss BSF.

I was there two years ago for the study on Romans... It was amazing.