Friday, October 30, 2009

Gobble Up Dinner for Your Gobblins.......



So for Halloween the last few years this has been our adult menu: Kids get something like grilled cheese so that it won't ruin a costume before heading out for the good stuff!




Beef stew and the ever famous, Beer Bread!


(If I had sound effects, you would hear trumpets!)






Now, I will pretend that you all, say: "Trick or Treat," and I will give you the recipes. Even if you don't use them this weekend, they are tasty for a cold night. Hope you and your families have safe and fun weekends, whatever is in store for you.




Beef Stew, the EASY way:


2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 pound beef stew meat
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 1/2 cups V8 (weird I know, but go with me on this)
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

2 1/4 cups cubed and peeled potatoes
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup celery
Barley to taste
Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Return meat to saucepan. Add V8 and water, onion and rest of ingredients to thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover, simmer 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Add potatoes, carrots, and celery (barley if you choose). Cover, simmer 30 minutes more. Skim fat. Makes 4 servings, but is easy to double, triple, whatever!




And now friends, the moment you have been reading for........


The recipe for Beer Bread!!!!
(drum roll beating, trumpets blaring, and I wish I had a magic wand!!!)
If I am going to wish, why not big???

3 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 ounces of beer at room temperature ~ the cheaper the beer the better the rise, not sure why....but true

Preheat oven to 375. Oil a loaf pan Combine all dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon, mixing in beer last. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until nice and golden on top. If baking in a stone loaf pan 40 minutes is perfect. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, and then cool completely out of pan on rack before cutting (if you can wait that long!) Serve with plenty of butter, honey is great, peanut butter in the morning is awesome....best served with friends and beer! Enjoy, and if my friends who live around me are reading this....invite me over for some ;)
Also....go check out Lemonade Makin Mama for her post about some amazing cookies, now you have dinner and dessert! YUM!!!








7 comments:

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I am the biggest fan of beer bread. I could eat it every day...

LisaR said...

Yum, sounds super good. I need to go to the store now.

Tibbetts Fam said...

Invite you over? But you just made some! Where is our invite? Ha Ha

The Flying Bee said...

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it out! If you lived closer I would invite you over for some!

Have a wonderful day!
Adrienne

LisaR said...

Okay, I just did your "through the legs test" and found that Bella could easily walk through my legs without ducking her head at all. She must be a LOT smaller than Koda (sp?). I will go post my Halloween pics so you can see her next to the girls. She totally looks like a mini-lab. Is there such a breed?

cathy said...

YUM! I have been wanting a good stew recipe. At first, I thought you were going to give us the recipe for grilled cheese!

Heidi Thompson said...

Random I know,
but do you use all purpose flour? My mom and I recently debated all-purpose flour vs. self rising flour for beer bread.