Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Righteous Anger........


I have a confession.........


This week, I got angry at stores. Here is my story of what I feel to be a righteous anger.


1.) I am shopping in Michael's, looking for some lovely paper to adorn these invitations I was commissioned to make. As I am looking for glittered paper, I hear over the speakers "Jingle Bells" and then "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". This happened on November 2nd!!! I understand that Halloween is officially over, and that the Christmas paraphernalia needs to go up, especially in a craft store, but REALLY???? it is the BEGINNING of November.

2.) The very next day, was a doozy. Mr. C. had to get up at 4:45 for an exceptionally early flight to our states capital. Then because of the loveliness of time change, Missy got up at 5:45! I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got my day started. I will save you the roller coaster of things that went wrong yesterday morning, but I WAS looking forward to heading to Starbucks, meeting my friend to give her the invitations, and get the MUCH NEEDED coffee. The girl behind the counter, welcomes me friendly. I feel a wave of relaxation coming my way......ahhhhhhhh. The smell of coffee is in the air! Then she says the words that stop me in my clouded thinking....." We now have the Gingerbread and Eggnog lattes, if you would like today." I was shocked. I am not ready for Christmas flavors. So to my credit, very calmly I replied "Oh, no thank you it is still November, I need those flavors in December and January. I would like a pumpkin spice latte please." I know that this flavor is expensive (I know Mrs. Dunbar, I know) but it was a matter of NEED, not WANT on this particular morning.

When I worked at Nordstrom there was a sign that went on every branch of the store during November: They celebrate Thanksgiving and use it as a time TO GIVE THANKS! Here is a copy of the Michigan Journal, that applauds Nordstrom as well, and wraps up my thinking in general! Let me give out a WOOT WOOT to Pete Nordstrom!

"Tis the season to be jolly." Though the words of the popular Christmas carol are well known, many Americans have long forgotten the time span for the actual Christmas season.Surrounded by much controversy, Christmastime has no definite start or finish. Beginning as early as Columbus Day when temperatures are still in the high 60s and lasting until late January when people finally figure out that throwing the extremely dead (not to mention fire-hazardous) Christmas tree to the curb would be a good idea, Christmas seems to be a season just like spring or fall. Fortunately, for consumers sick of being bombarded with irritating Christmas decorations, there is a safe haven.We at The Michigan Journal wish to applaud the department store, Nordstrom. Separating itself from its competitors, Nordstrom stores are not Christmas clad until the day after Thanksgiving. "We believe in celebrating each holiday in its entirety before moving on to the next one," said Nordstrom spokesman John Baily in an interview with The New York Times. At the entrance of each Nordstrom store, customers can spot a sign announcing Nordstrom's commitment to wait until after Thanksgiving to decorate. Considered a breath of fresh air for consumers tired of being overrun by the early onset of Christmas decorations, people have taken notice of the bold statement. Pete Nordstrom, the president of Nordstrom department stores, admits, "I don't know of anything that we do that gets more favorable customer feedback."With such considerable support, one might wonder why other department stores do not follow in Nordstrom's footsteps. Representatives from Bloomingdales noted that their elaborate Christmas displays take time to set up, causing the department stores to start the decorating process long before Thanksgiving. "It's not like decorating your tree at home or your little vestibule. The New York store is close to a million square feet," said Joe Catugno, Bloomingdale's vice president for visual merchandising.Though the decorating process is time consuming, we at The Michigan Journal think it is no excuse. If Nordstrom can manage to decorate after closing on Wednesday to be ready for Black Friday, other department stores should be able to do the same. We appreciate the effort made by the department store and look forward to their appropriately timed 108th unveiling of Christmas decorations.

3 comments:

Mrs. Dunbar said...

And that's why Nordy's is my store of choice!!!

Cathy said...

Wow! I'm so pleased to hear that about Nordstrom's. My wallet is made for Target, but my heart belongs to Nordstrom's :)

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I love Nordstrom too... but sadly there isn't one in my town! Can you believe that? It's like I'm living in a cave!

(I also agree that stores need to hold the Christmas push...)