Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. I know this because my calendar tells me so, and because I know my dear friend living in New Orleans just got done celebrating Mardi Gras. However, the last few "Lent Seasons" I have been convicted. A friend of ours several years ago, wrote this amazing lesson on what Lent really was. Because I didn't grow up observing it, I had a vague understanding. When she was done speaking to our small group, she challenged us all, to really give up something and CONTEMPLATE the meaning behind Lent. Now, if you are a regular Lent observer, good for you, but the challenge remains the same.........what are you giving up, why are you giving it up, and do you think about it every single time you deny yourself that pleasure, what the point really is. The point is to remember that Christ denied himself the pleasure of life. He denied himself the pleasure of remaining perfect and sinless when He took upon our sins. He denied himself the pleasure of just being carried up to Heaven when His mission was done, and died a painful death instead for OUR sake. He denied himself for a time, complete communication with HIS FATHER. The sacrifices that we celebrate on Easter were great, and I haven't even touched on all of them. So as I prepare to participate in Lent on my own, I am contemplating what I am going to give up, why am I giving it up, and do I remember the reward for what I get in return. Now, this is totally on me, my church that I attend does not publicly encourage Lent. However, if you take a look at it for the core of what it was set up to do, it is pretty amazing. I won't challenge you to participate with me, that conviction has to come from you, but if you do, then please let me know so that I can be praying for you as we go through this together.

1 comment:

Theresa Rose said...

Ok Erin, the conviction did not disappear. So, pray for me and my
40 day journey as I will pray for you too.