Monday, February 09, 2009

Valentines Day

I love Valentines Day. Not for the romantic reasons that you might think, although I like those too. I love setting out towels with hearts on them, and putting simple decorations around the house. I like the fact that I just finished decorating my mantel with pictures from family members wedding day all the way back to my great grandparents. I love that with all of the decorations there are shades of pink, that come with the promise of spring not far away.


I love this suito-holiday most because it is a choice. At Christmas and birthdays there are those people that you "have" to buy for. For whatever the political reason, buying for them makes life easier. But Valentines Day you get to CHOOSE who you love on. There is NO obligation (except for sometimes your spouse and possibly kids) to give the gift of saying "Hey, I love you!" For instance, this year's teachers are going to feel the love they deserve! I think girls probably do this more than guys, in fact I know so. But still, isn't it fun to get a card from friend, and remember that you love each other on top of liking each other and having a hang out buddy?Isn't it fun to buy your own pack of kids Valentines and send them in the mail to friends, or make them a card? I love the simplicity of it, and yet it speaks volumes to the recipient. As for the romantic part, well.........that is just plain fun and needed as well. My Hubby is a GREAT Valentine, and I am so glad that cupid still strikes him!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to buy Valentine's cards and put them in friend's mailboxes (I know just the set at Walmart in the card aisle--vintage and glittery!) I never thought of doing that -- thanks for the idea and the reminder to "love on" the people we love :)

Anonymous said...

Very good post :) I agree, I like the simplicity of Valentines day, and I also like Easter & 4th of July for the very same reasons :)

Mrs. Dunbar said...

So I'm just wondering if my Valentine's Day card is in the mail with my Christmas card?? Don't worry your Christmas card is still sitting here in my desk with a check... dated 12-10-08. I suck I know, but I hope you still love me anyway.