Thursday, February 19, 2009

Are you HUNGRY???

When I get hungry, I am not a very nice person. I am irritable, irrational, cranky, and basically a bear to be around. When getting lunch today for me and Missy, I realized that spiritual hunger is much the same way. When we don't make time for God, we stop reading our Bible or do it only when it is convenient, we don't worship on our own, we simply become spiritually hungry. We become irritable, irrational, cranky and basically a bear to be around, all the while screaming at God to fix something. The problem is that HE has fixed us something, it is just the question of whether or not we want to eat it. In our house this happens almost every night for dinner. Missy asks "What's for dinner?" and if the answer is not one of her favorites, her immediate response is "But I don't want......." The same is true of us. We ask God for favors, deals, prayers to be answered, problems to be solved, people to be healed etc. But when HIS answer is either "yes, if you are obedient to......" or "no, that isn't in MY will........" then we start to whine and complain and throw a fit. We become more spiritually hungry because WE decide to throw a temper tantrum, get mad at God, and we CHOOSE to be hungry. Our relationship and spiritual maturity is only fed when we put the fork in our mouths. We actually have to physically feed ourselves, and have no one else to blame if we go to bed HUNGRY other than ourselves.

3 comments:

Anna Cecilia said...

Love the analogy. I totally get irritable and cranky when I'm both physically hungry and spiritually hungry.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! After Bible study this morning I planned on writing a post about hunger for God and comparing it to physical hunger! I guess God had something specific to say to you and me today!

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Preach it sister.