Sunday, September 13, 2009

NOT Recommended

Here was my night last night. I do NOT recommend, you repeating it. Laugh all you want, but I will try and remedy it tonight.

After putting the kiddos to bed, I started watching Twilight, in a dark house with all lights off. I got as far as the wolf part, before realizing I was WAY too tired, to finish this movie tonight.

Took the dogs out for one last potty break before bed. Koda (11 months old) instantly went after a rabbit (good boy!) and then preceded to chase around the dark corner of the yard. All of the sudden he started to bark his "I am protecting my home, BACK OFF" bark. When he wants to sound like the size of dog he is, he can and he is intimidating! Then Hailey (12 years old and NEVER barks) put her nose to the air, and the hair on her back stood straight up. She started to bark the same bark. Now I have two big dogs going crazy, and no husband at home. I went inside to find a flashlight. NO LUCK!! I went back outside (stupid, stupid, stupid) and was pondering calling my dad or the police.......HMMMMM. The dogs are going crazy and not letting up, I am standing there in my pj's ~ Duh! I have no idea if the intruder is on four feet or two, but I am standing there waiting to find out. Repeat ~ no hubby home to protect me, and visions of werewolves fresh in the brain. Blood pressure raised at this point and heart racing.

Finally, Hailey gives up her protection bark, but remains on high alert. Koda, is not going to give this up without a fight. Alas, there is movement, and I can see that SOMETHING is on our fence that borders the ravine. It is smaller than a cat, but either a HUGE rat, or some other critter. As Koda is protecting me, it comes into the light..........a small opossum. It is hissing, snarling, and not happy that this smallish moose is trying to knock it off of "its" fence. I do the girlie thing and get a bribe for my dog. I order him to "come" and after getting his attention he does (yeah!!!) even if it is for a cookie, he obeyed with vermin in sight and almost in reach, good boy! Hailey has now seen it is vermin, and decided to look for a cookie for herself when I went in. As I feed him his treat for being such a good boy, I latch the leash on him, and bring my protector inside to be with me.

I go upstairs, and WHAT do I do????? I start where I left off in my mystery / thriller book. I am dumb!!! Of course it was the part in the story where one of the main characters gets her life threatened at knife point. It is high impact, and action, and getting later and later at night. It is now almost 11:30, before I get to a part in the story where it is normal, and I might be able to fall asleep.

Let's just say that the best part of the night was falling asleep praying for protection for me and my kiddos sleeping down the hall. I instantly felt HIS peace, and presence as sleep overwhelmed me, and without God that would have been IMPOSSIBLE. Thankfully, God is there to protect us from the Boogie Man, Vermin's, and suspense novels, as well as the "real" things in life.

3 comments:

The Flying Bee said...

Thanks for coming by my blog!

I loved this post! You sound just like me. I can't watch anything scary. I can barely watch thrillers, but if I happen to get caught up in one on t.v. and then I have to go to bed, I am so thankful that the Lord gives me peace! :)

Adrienne

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Even though I know He gives me peace I still would have turned all of the lights on (inside and outside) and would have started texting hubby, "When are you getting home?"

I'm a chicken, I know.

Coffee and bagels? Next Tuesday? Monkey starts school tomorrow, but may not go, as he was puking up his dinner all over my car last night.

Cathy said...

You've written your own thriller! Love the last paragraph :)