Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Book Review

I just finished the book titled "The Penny". I have to say that there were parts that I liked and parts that I most certainly didn't.

An underlying theme in the book (hence the title) is that God cares about the little details in our lives, such as the Pennies. God does not forget and we are not alone, just as there are pennies lying around the bottom of our handbags, wallets, and car cup holders. Pennies were a way for the main character to remember these lessons of God and to be looking for His blessings when she found one.

The hard part of the book, was the subject of abuse. It was so strong and relevant to the story, but also as a mother and a woman extremely hard to read. There were times, when I wished I could put the book down and never go back. It was so strong, that it has taken me well over a month to read this book that is not very long at all.

I am glad to have read the book, for I don't think I will ever see a Penny in the same light. Even while reading a book, my heart had changed to see them as reminders of God's provision, care, presence, and blessings around. However, as for the main part of the book, I could have done without and don't necessarily recommend it. Then it did what a couple of books have done to me recently, it just ended. NO wrap up, no tying of loose ends or letting you know how they actually got to the end, but just the end. As if the publisher said you have 218 pages and that is it. Don't go over. Oh well, on to something else to read. Any suggestions?????

1 comment:

Cathy said...

If you like fiction: "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale. The first "Harry Potter" is amazing. Other genres: "God's Smuggler" by Brother Andrew; "Finding Calcutta" by Mary Poplin. My all time favorite (but not everyone's) is "The Shack" (but be warned -- it's haunting for us moms to read, even though it's fiction).