Thursday, July 09, 2009

Well Done.........

Well done my good and faithful servant...... Matthew 25:21a

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed .........2 Timothy 2:15a

These are the verses that stuck out at me, while watching the Michael Jackson memorial. Mind you, not one of the reverends actually said them, but their message was there and this is what came to mind.

Martin Luther King III said it the best and his message applies to all of us. Now mind you I am paraphrasing here! His message was actually from his father. The meaning was that if you are a street sweeper, be the best street sweeper you can be. If you are a gardener, be the best gardener you can be. For we all are not called to be the shining stars that get all of the attention. There have to be the people behind the scenes that make the shining stars that much more brighter. Our call though is from our Father, to be the best at what He has called us to be. Whatever that call maybe, whether it is a shining star, or a behind the scenes person, our goal should be the best that is possible for us to be. THEN when we are done with our job here on Earth, we will be judged on the job that we did. Did we do the job to the best of our ability?

Now in the case of Michael Jackson, he was obviously called to be a shining star. He in the entertainment industry was one of the best, and if judged on whether or not he did his job well, then I think it is safe to say, based on that standard, he would be praised for the job he did. What I don't know is if he was saved. If at the end of the day he will hear, well done, my good and faithful servant. For no one can judge someone else's heart.

However, as the laziness of summer settles upon us, I need to remember my calling. I need to remember what God has asked of me. Then I need to evaluate if I am going to be found lacking, or if I am truly being the servant God has asked me to be. Then I wonder if it all boils down to what Paul said:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. I Corinthians 9:24

Guess I need to go get my running shoes on, and tackle the laundry that is waiting for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those runners who took off late at the starting gate. Thank God this does not determine the prize at the end for me or anyone else. if anything we should learn this from michaels memorial. Thankyou friend for reminding me that and encouraging me in the place God has for me. Heres to being the "best" for my lord and savior.

Angela said...

your topic causes me to think for a while, what is the best I can be? The bible is quite clear on what God expects us to be but to translate into daily life it has been fun to think about. It is more than just respecting my husbands decision when i dont agree, forgiving when betrayed or even helping others when in need. Its having the right heart durning all of it. Living with Christs heart is the best I can be. I needed to be brought back to that today.