Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Choosing the RIGHT words

I received a lesson this week in choosing the right words at the right time. As I stated last, I spent the weekend at Women of Faith.

My family spent a good part of their weekend at the soccer fields. This was one of the trade offs of me going away.........I was going to miss the first soccer game of the season.

While playing for the Comets, Bubba scored a goal. The only goal for his team in the game. Later while telling me about it, on the phone, I kept saying "I am so proud of you!" and I was. Except something kept eating at me. The word wasn't right.

Well, after finishing hearing this year's speakers, and hearing their stories, I figured it out. You see, they were talking about God, but I could relate it to human parenting. I wasn't MORE proud of Bubba because he scored a goal. I was proud of him because despite the heat, he gave it his all. Despite some bad calls by refs, he still was trying to do his best. The most important thing that I was proud of him for, was that although most of the game they were loosing, he had a fun attitude about the game. He wanted to be goalie, and stop any more goals from coming in. He wanted to be the best player he could be, while having fun playing a game he loves. THAT is why I was proud of him.

That night, as I tucked him into bed and went through our nightly rituals, I had a serious moment with him as well. After prayers, I had to specifically point out that I was EXCITED for him that he scored a goal, and PROUD of him for his attitude and fun spirit. I didn't want him to think that his performance made a difference on how I perceived him. He went to bed understanding, and I left him in his room with a smile on his face. (Glow in the dark retainers help see the smile in the dark!)

The lesson here that I learned is that I want my children to understand that I am their biggest fan, even if I am rooting for them 45 minutes away. I also want them to know that win or loose, score or not, I am proud of them when they try to do their best. Just like our Heavenly Father is proud of us when we are trying our best.............................................

1 comment:

cathy said...

good reminder. thank you!